the 32nd session of the Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice
VIENNA, 22 May/Sharief,
The opening on the first day of the 32nd session included remarks by:
· Mary MUGWANJA, Chair of the 32nd session of the Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice;
· Csaba KÕRÖSI, President of the 77th Session of the United Nations General Assembly;
· Lachezara STOEVA, President of the United Nations Economic and Social Council (video message);
· Ghada WALY, Executive Director of the UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC).
The topic of the thematic discussion this year is “Enhancing the functioning of the criminal justice system to ensure access to justice and to realize a safe and secure society.”
Resolutions under consideration by the Commission address the following topics:
· Taking action against trafficking in persons in business operations, public procurement and supply chains for goods and services
· Reducing reoffending through rehabilitation and reintegration
· Follow-up to the Fourteenth United Nations Congress on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice and preparations for the Fifteenth United Nations Congress on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice
· Enhancing the contributions of the Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice to the accelerated implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
· Achieving equal access to justice for all through – and in – criminal justice systems
· Technical assistance provided by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime related to counter-terrorism
Over 110 side events and 14 exhibitions will take place during the 32nd session.